Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Microfiction Anthology...The Archeress

A few weeks ago I posted a microfiction piece called "Preparation."  I'd hinted in that post that this character may grow into something more, and I think I've decided what to do with her, at least initially.  I'm going to spin this fragment of a story into an anthology of 100 word stories, which I'm entitling "The Archeress."  I'm using the term anthology rather loosely here, since it isn't just a random collection of stories, but more of a short story in serial form, if such a thing exists.  It's partly an exercise to see if I can manage to write a compelling work in many tiny bites.  My guess (and that's all it is at this point) is that it'll take about ten installments.  "Preparation" was part one--the following is part two.  

Beyond this collection, who knows?  If she keeps talking to me, I'll keep writing about her.  Check back for future installments.

Previous Installments:
Part 1:  Preparation

______________________________________
Infiltration  (Part Two of The Archeress)



The last guard was a surprise.  Those in her profession disliked surprises.
She knew from previous reconnoiters that there would be a guard team at all entrances as always.  That was a problem easily solved by a grappling arrow and a narrow ventilation window high on one side of the building.
As she scaled the wall, she heard the boots on gravel twenty feet below, and smelled his pipe.  He was on his way elsewhere, not patrolling, but she froze as he approached.  He stopped, his bald head gleaming in the quarter moonlight.
Her muscles burned as she hung, waiting…

No comments:

Post a Comment